Chief Technology Officer at ThankYou Payroll
October 2019 - Present | Wellington, New Zealand
Board Member, Board Co-Chair at New Zealand Green Party IT Governance Board
2014 - Present | Wellington, New Zealand
- Board member of the IT Oversight Group (ITOG) which sets the Information Technology governance strategy and policies for the Green Party at a national level
- Board Co-Chair for 3 years
- Wellington Province Treasurer
Principal Consultant - DevOps at Planit Software Testing
June 2014 - October 2019 | Wellington, New Zealand
• Principal Consultant for government agencies and commercial businesses, with a strategic technology focus centring upon quality systems and business processes. Significant experience creating and overseeing technology and testing strategies. Experienced programme test manager skilled at managing multiple simultaneous cross functional teams
• NZ Regional champion for DevOps practice, focusing on Continuous Improvement and Lean processes, creation and promotion of business development strategy and training of staff in DevOps technologies. Experienced Scrum Master / Agile coach, with practice mentoring scrum teams in Agile and DevOps practices.
• Regional manager for Wellington region's Complete Tester corporate training program, focused on strategic planning and training roll-out including hands on technical training of staff and development of online virtual learning training materials for technical automation and Continuous Testing.
• Business Development and account management of client engagements including RFP/SoW development and vendor relationships
• Risk Management focus, working with businesses to develop plans with key stakeholders, conducting risk analysis workshops to prioritise development and Risk Based Testing efforts.
• Change Management adviser with expertise in process analysis, strategy development and implementation. Experienced in conducting Test and DevOps Process Improvement reviews and assisting organisations with process improvement programs.
• Experienced across the entire QA front including test planning, scheduling, execution, team leadership and reporting to business stakeholders across multiple test levels (Unit, System, Integration, Acceptance, Regression, Automated, Performance, and Security testing) at the programme level, in both waterfall and Agile methodologies
Director at Computing As You Like It
January 1994 - 2016
Owner/Operator for a part-time software consulting company.
- Develop custom web, mobile and desktop applications
- Manage sales and marketing, and product support / customer care
Design and implement IT solutions for Medical and Veterinary clients.
- Manage project schedules, business analysis, tracking project status, software testing, budgets, requirements, and design completion.
Board Trustee at Mahora School
2011 - 2015 | Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
o Deputy Chair and Treasurer of the Board of Trustees.
o Volunteer Music Instructor.
o Technology advisor and backup school website administrator.
Director at Hawkes Bay Imports
March 2011 - 2015
Founding Director, responsible for business development, conducting market research, and managing information technology systems
Director at Beak and Claw Veterinary Services
2009 - 2015
o Founding member of the Board of Directors.
o Manage the design, implementation and administration of IT resources.
o Oversee online retail management, focusing on increased profit.
o Responsible for strategic business planning and HR guidance.
o Create a Social Media presence and focus on SEO / online marketing.
o Plan and manage the corporate website and e-commerce system.
Head of Technology at Mogul
January 2014 - May 2014 | Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
• Head of Technology and Development, managing the Software Development and Testing team, creating interactive responsive websites and developing web-based applications.
• Agile Scrum Master / Project Manager focusing on agile project management, streamlining PM activities and developer workload to ensure projects are completed on time, to specification and within budget.
• Manage IT, quality systems, software development, customer service, and lead technical process improvement programs.
• Manage cloud computing resources using Amazon Web Services. Develop risk mitigation and deployment strategies to reduce service outages and downtime while improving scalability and reducing costs.
Senior Developer at McCarthy and Associates
February 2011 - January 2014 | Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
• Senior Developer for a large scale international turnkey business management system.
• Developed framework for testing custom java applications and created automated regression testing scripts for continuous system testing.
• Designed and developed systems for software security and LDAP network integration.
• Administered Jira Issue Tracking system, creating custom Jira workflows and developed issue ticket templates and custom issue screens.
Product Development Manager at Sirtrack Ltd
August 2004 - January 2011
o Product Development / Engineering Manager for the Research and Development team of a global leader in Wildlife Tracking Solutions.
o Managed software development, mechanical design, embedded firmware development, electronic design and testing of satellite and VHF telemetry products.
o Senior member of the Health and Safety and IT Steering Committees, helping to coordinate service delivery, vendor SLAs, IT planning, risk management and service continuity.
o Managed multiple concurrent projects with responsibilities including running meetings, project scheduling, resource coordination, product planning, issue resolution, defect tracking, quality improvement and document control.
o Managed Tier 2 (engineering) customer service operations, fielding international support calls for technical hardware and software issues. Principal sales contact for software pre/post sales support.
o Lead and oversaw engineering process improvements including implementation of stage gate processes to control project movement from R&D to production, adoption of design for manufacture principles to improve production quality and speed of manufacturing, and the movement towards lean manufacturing / continuous improvement.
o Implemented and administered team documentation system, corporate intranet and configuration management system (version control, defect tracking and build processes).
Senior Software Developer
o Designed and developed internationally deployed Java GPS tracking systems.
o Worked with customers to ensure products met requirements for mapping and tracking needs and exceeded expectations for usability.
o Managed testing of GIS/GPS/KMZ data integration for custom application exporting into ESRI and Google tools.
o Managed project planning and requirements gathering processes.
o Managed all tier 2 technical support field calls for software products.
o Developed corporate strategy and mentored team in software development processes and configuration management principles.
Lead Developer at Vodafone
June 2001 - July 2004
o Lead Developer for a team of up to 20 Developers creating Architecture and Web and Mobile portals for international corporate intranet used by 70,000 employees in 10 countries.
o Create detailed UML specifications for Java based systems.
o Design and implement Web/WAP JSP modules for Epicentric Portal Server.
o Develop detailed development plans for system scheduling.
o Recommend and oversee improvements to development and configuration management processes.
o Design coroporate training program to instruct teams of software developers learning Web/Wap Portal technology using Oracle/JMS/Java/Epicentric
o Instruct courses internationally for teams of developers, support engineers and managers.
Senior Consultant at Meridian Technology
April 2001 - June 2001
o Developed Perl CGI Programs interacting with Oracle RDBMS and Dynamic HTML.
o Used Rational Rose, ClearCase, Clear Quest and Requisite Pro for Configuration Management, defect tracking and requirements modification.
o Created distributed web applications with Java (using JBuilder) and Oracle
Software Engineer at Nortel Networks
February 1999 - March 2001
o Designed and created graphical, middleware and back-end server multi-tired programs for using Oracle 8i, Perl and Java in NT, HP-UX & Sun Solaris environments.
o Developed object oriented programs with Perl and Java to extract data from configuration management systems (ClearCase, APEX, PCMS and PLS).
o Produced UML documentation for Perl and Java classes using Rational Rose including use case, class, sequence, state chart, component and deployment diagrams.
o Assisted in the design and implemention the server and database architectures for a new suite of tools using Oracle, CORBA and Java (previously written in OO Perl and C++).
Software Developer at HealthMatics
January 1999 - December 2000
o Developed programs with Delphi, C++, Perl, SQL, PLSQL and InstallShield in AIX and NT.
o Created software design specifications and functional specifications.
o Designed make, nmake and korn shell scripts used for NT and AIX Oracle installations.
o Packaged and released an average of one product per week over a 2 year period.
o Managed version control and built projects for milestone releases and biweekly internal software builds for multi-platform teams.
Instructor at Wake Technical Community College
January 1996 - May 2000
o Instructor for the following computer courses: C Programming Concepts using ANSI C, Database Programming I & II, Oracle SQL , C / C++ Programming levels I & II, HTML Programming, Intro to Windows 95, and UNIX Operating System (including shell script programming)
o Responsible for teaching coursework, evaluating and grading assignments, designing course curriculum and monitoring class attendance.
QA Analyst / Configuration Manager / Release Engineer at HealthPoint
February 1995 - December 1999
Release Packaging Engineer
o Designed and developed shell scripts and software installations
o Packaged and released an average of one product per week over a 2 year period
o Maintained, administered and upgraded hardware and software
o Built projects for official milestone releases and biweekly internal software builds for multi-platform teams using C++ and Delphi
o Managed version control of multiple projects with Visual SourceSafe
o Designed, created and managed Lotus Notes defect tracking system used by 30 developers and 15 quality assurance analysts to create, track and resolve over 8,000 problem reports
o Created Internet and Intranet web pages to improve communication
Quality Assurance Analyst
o Led project for testing of Oracle database migration from NT to AIX
o Designed and implemented structured unit, functional, system and regression test plans to evaluate client/server software on NT and Unix platforms
o Led project to create and use automated regression and system stress testing including WinRunner and LoadRunner test scripts